- To promote public awareness, knowledge, appreciation and enjoyment of birds, other wildlife and wildlife habitats.
- To be a strong and influential voice in environmental affairs in Illinois.
- To propose and support public programs which seek to protect, restore and enhance the natural environment.
- To inform the membership and the general public of specific threats to the environment, and to recommend appropriate action.
- To establish and maintain wildlife sanctuaries in Illinois.
- To support the accumulation of long-term data on Illinois birds, to be used as an aid to their perpetuation and as an indicator of environmental quality.
- To provide quality outdoor field experiences for members and the public.
- To foster voluntary participation in all of the Society's activities.